If your addictions are of the make up kind, do we have news for you! Mickey Contractor, MAC’s head of IndianÂ artistry, collaborated with MAC to release a make up line worthy of Bollywood starlets.
“The inspiration for this collection really came from what I felt Indian women needed. Pigmentation and discoloration problems around the mouth and under the eyes is something that most people in India have a problem with, so creating the concealers was really important to me,” says Contractor, who is also MAC’s director of makeup artistry for India.
The line will debut yellow-based foundations and concealers finely tuned to match the South Asian skin tones that Contractor is so familiar with sculpting. “Outside of India, they’ll also work beautifully on Hispanic, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern skins, which can also have similar issues with pigmentation,” adds Contractor, who says that previous to this collection, he has had trouble with skin makeups appearing gray on yellow-toned clients.
Each piece in the collection has a Hindi name, including Viva (“marriage”), Jaan (“my life”) and Athma (“soul”). Contractor shared that the nude-beige-brown lipstick Mehr (“grace”) is named for his wife, Mehr.
One of our favorite aspects of the collection is how Contractor brought meaning to the colors. The Rani eyeshadow pot is one example of how history is infused in the collection. The bright fucshia pink found in the eye shadow pot is symbolic of India’s “Rani pink”, Maharanis from Rajasthan wore the vibrant pink shade as a symbol of royalty.
A Bollywood lifer, Contractor has a lot of insight into the evolution of make up in Bollywood. “My whole idea was to try and minimize the old Bollywood way of makeup as much as possible — we used to be pan stick and pancake makeup,” explains Contractor. “I wanted it to look more modern, more real, more today, closer to what Hollywood does… because it makes it more believable. That was my contribution to this culture.”
If this line makes your desi heart want to sing from snow capped mountain tops, no fear, the collection will hit stores in the states on January 6, and international stores by approximately January 11. Here is a sneak peak of our favorites!
The MAC Mickey Contractor Collection:
Lipstick, $14.50 each
- Yash â€” a deep neutral (matte)
- Mehr â€“ a dirty blue pink (matte)
- Gulabi â€“ a bright fuchsia (amplified)
- Mocha â€“ a peachy yellow-brown (satin)
Lipglass, $14.50 each
- Flesh â€” a dirty nude brown
- Lust â€” a soft muted pink
Eye Shadow, $14.50 each
- Saffron â€” a deep coral caramel (satin)
- Rani â€“ a bright fuchsia with soft pink pearl (frost)
- Marvel â€” a deep purple with soft pink pearl (frost)
- Oomph â€“ a forest green with soft gold pearl (veluxe pearl)
Eye Shadow Quad â€” Athma, $36
- Folie â€“ Reddish-plum brown (satin)
- Carbon â€“ Intense black (matte)
- Jaan â€“ Light neutral with soft gold pearl (lustre)
- Vivah â€“ Brown with gold pearl (lustre)
Fluidline, $15 each
- Ivy â€“ a bright green (frost)
- Siahi â€“ a deep turquoise blue (frost)
Select Moisturecover Concealer, $16.50 each
Select Moisturecover Concealer, $21 each
- Coral Corrector / Yellow Corrector â€” Coral, a slightly dirty coral/ Yellow, a banana yellow
Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation, $26 each
Powder Blush, $18.50 each
- Gana â€” a bright white gold (frost)
- Sur â€” a dirty rosie brown (satin)
Brushes, $24.50 â€“ $32 each
- 219 â€” pencil brush
- 239 â€” eye shader
- 116 â€” blush brush
Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder, $22