Resolution #1: Better skin care regimen
As we get older, we need to spend more time taking care of our skin. Here are a few simple ways to get a glowing complexion in the new year:
- Drink more water (at least 8 glasses a day) to keep your skin hydrated. I love this pitcher style water bottle that tracks my daily intake of water. Try the Hydr-8 Water Bottle Time Marked Air Insulated 32 Ounce Mug, $16.99 on Amazon.
- Wash off your makeup before bed, no matter how tired you are! Sleeping in your makeup can result in clogged pores and acne, and it also breaks down healthy collagen which can create fine lines and wrinkles. Try the Neutrogena Make Up Removing Towelettes, $5 on Amazon.
- Moisturize your face and neck daily. Depending on your skin type, use a moisturizer that works best for you. If you have severely dry skin, you may want to use a thicker moisturizer. If you have oily skin (which I do), I would suggest using a mattifying lotion. Try theÂ LilyAna Naturals Face Moisturizer, $17.99 on Amazon.Â
- Wear SPF on a daily basis. Protect your skin from harmful UV rays, even in the winter, by applying SPF daily before you use your makeup. You can also purchase moisturizers or makeup that contain SPF. Try the Neutrogena Ulta Sheer SPF 85 Lotion, $8.49 on Amazon.
Resolution #2: Mix & match old with new
We are all guilty of furiously searching through our closets and screaming out loud “I have NOTHING to wear.” Learn to be a fashionista on a budget â€“ find some classic pieces in your existing wardrobe (i.e. a little black dress) and pair them with new trendy accessories for 2014. Splurge on your fashion picks wisely this year â€“ do you really want to blow your paycheck on something that will be obsolete by next year?
Resolution #3: Reorganize your makeup bag
I admit, I can sometimes be a makeup hoarder â€“ you just never know when that metallic eyeliner MAY come in handy. But just as we routinely clean out our closets, we should make it a habit to sift through our makeup bags at least once a year. Get rid of the old stuff that may be expired or you know you will never wear. This is also a good time to collect your empty MAC containers and partake in MAC’s Back-2-MAC recycling program â€“ for every 6 empty plastic containers, you receive 1 free lipstick. Also, don’t forget to clean your makeup brushes on a weekly basis.
Resolution #4: Get your beauty rest (6-8 hours)
Being a native New Yorker and living in the “city that never sleeps”, it can sometimes be hard to slow down. However, we shouldn’t underestimate the importance of a good night sleep. There are many benefits to getting some shuteye, some of which are listed below:
- Lower stress levels
- Higher immunity
- Better focus/concentration
- Skin restoration
Resolution #5: Be daring with your makeup
Most of us have our makeup routine down and we know what looks best on us. While knowing what kind of makeup plays up your best features is absolutely crucial, donâ€™t be afraid to experiment with your look from time to time. For special occasions, try on a bold new lip color or apply winged eyeliner (if you don’t usually do so). If you’re not certain what will work best with your complexion, face shape, etc., I would recommend going to a makeup counter salesperson to ask for their opinion. This way, you can try on different products, and see what works best on you before purchasing new makeup.
Resolution #6: Take care of your pearly whites
SMILE, it’s your best curve. Therefore, we should be taking the necessary steps to maintain a healthy smile:
- Floss at least once a day
- Get your dental check-up every 6 months
- Invest in an electrical toothbrush â€“ trust me, it makes a big difference, especially in keeping your gums healthy!
- Cut down on sugary goods
Resolution #7: Find an exercise routine that you ENJOY.
We all know that your local gym is going to be PACKED starting January 1st. Don’t feel pressured to join the masses and get stuck with a yearly gym membership that you will barely use. Instead, experiment with different classes (yoga, pilates, spin, kickboxing, etc.) and find an activity that you actually enjoy and will also help you shed the holiday pounds. For the past 6 months, I’ve taken up indoor cycling at SoulCycle, a full-body workout that incorporates fun music and motivational instructors. This workout has become a favorite of mine since it not only benefits me physically but mentally as well, which is equally as important.
Resolution #8: Have better posture
There is nothing sexy about slumped over shoulders and bad posture can also lead to back and neck strain. Those of us with office jobs, who spend a majority of our time hunched over our keyboards, are probably the biggest culprits of slouching. Try to be more cognizant of your posture while standing and sitting and remember to take breaks throughout the day to stretch.
Resolution #9: Embrace your body and learn to LOVE yourself
Society puts a lot of pressure on women these days and gives us unrealistic expectations as to how we should look and feel. Don’t be fooled by all the Photoshopped images you see on a daily basis â€“ even those gorgeous models and actresses gracing the covers of magazines are far from perfect. Stop being so harsh on yourself and learn to embrace your body, flaws and all. Remind yourself that you are beautiful every single day, and your inner happiness will radiate to the outside.
Resolution #10: Weed out the negative energy
One of my all-time favorite quotes which has resonated with me throughout my adult life is ” Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.â€ â€“ a quote by Oprah Winfrey. Life is too short, so you might as well spend it with people who bring out the best in you and push you to be the very best version of yourself. Never compromise your happiness for others, so this year, learn to detox your life of negative people and don’t feel1 .50 selfish about it. Need a positive energy recharge? Purchase The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World, $15.50 on Amazon.
â€” DIVYA GULERIA