Nindy Kaur, also the wife of acclaimed singer and producer Manjeet Ral of RDB, began singing at the age of 10. Raised in the U.K. and surrounded by the beats and rhythms of Birminghamâ€™s Bhangra bands, she grew up as a child who would save her lunch money to buy every Bhangra album upon release. Soon after their marriage, her singing abilities were obvious to Manj who put her in the recording studio and launched her as the first female vocalist from RDB.
I caught up with Nindy during a recent performance to grab 5 quick questions.
1. What has always been your main musical goal?
To be true to my culture and reflect that in my music.
2. What do you play on your ipod to get into the party/fun mood?
‘Jawani’ from DJHâ€™s album! Thatâ€™s a tune to get me going!
3. What are some of the projects youâ€™re working on for the future?
Well the new RDB album will be releasing early 2009 and I have sung two songs on that album. In addition to that, my solo album will be releasing early 2009. Thereâ€™s also some Bollywood stuff to look out for! I sang two songs in Aftab Shivadasani’s movie called Aloo Chaat. I and RDB will be featured in the music video for this movie too! And Iâ€™m even working on an album release tour with RDB in the US for early 2009 as well! So be ready for a lot with the start of the New Year!
4. When youâ€™re performing away from home, what are the three things which you cannot live without?
Of course my son Anoop, then my treadmill, and finally, home cooked food!
5. Who did you view as role models and/or inspiration growing up?
Pardesi was definitely a favorite among others on my listâ€¦they were amazing live too!
– Tirusha Dave