You don’t have to be the bride to wear a lehenga to a wedding. For the upcoming wedding season, elevate your party going attire with an appropriate ghagra choli. Fishtale? Reshan? Zair? Net? A-Line? So much to consider when finding the lehenga for you, but the key to a great lehenga is finding the cut that compliments your body type and follows a few simple trends. Forget the overdone glitz, princess circular skirt and mono-color solids. This season is all about elegant embroidery, contrasting colors and mixed fabrics. Here are 5 trends to know before wedding season begins.
1. Paneled – Whether it’s a fishtail or an A-Line cut lehenga, organized panel designs elongate the body for a structured, refined look. Classic contrasting colors like green and red accentuate the simple elegance of the panelled embroidered paisley and floral motifs.
2. Village Chic - Rich contrasting colors emulate the floral prints of peasant cotton fabrics, but this trend is nothing but luxurious with art slik, heavy handmade embroidery and thick patch pattis in floral motifs. This rejuvenating trend is the prefect balance of down to earth and fanciful.
3. Patch Work- Grandmother’s quilts have a brand new meaning with banarasi opra silk and net patch work adorned with sequins, lace, dandels and beads. The intricate details of this lehenga trend create both extravagance and elegance worthy of a royal guest. Think Devdas and Jodhaa Akbar.
4. Fawns and Creams - No, we’re not talking dessert, but the new gold is even more satisfying than sweets. With a fawn or cream color backdrop to bright contrasting hints of color, embroidery and stone work, your lehenga will remain a sophisticated attire, yet still refreshing and young.
5. Polychromatic - If you haven’t noticed yet, contrasting colors are the way to go this season. Forget the solid matching three piece set. Instead, take a chance on a tasteful multicolor palette that breaches beyond just two or three hues. The playful balance of colors will bring the perfect spontaneity to an austere attire.
Photos from Utsav Fashion